Resources To Assist Schools In Complying With
The NYS Concussion Management and Awareness Act
NYSED Guidelines for Concussion Management
The Secondary Education Committee for NYSATA is making itself available to individuals and school districts that need assistance in meeting the expectations of the NYS Concussion Management and Awareness Act and the Rules and Regulations and Guidelines for Concussion Management that go along with them. Please contact the individual that corresponds with your local section.
Concussion Information & Sample Documents:**
If you need example templates for any of the documents required for the NYSED Guidelines, these downloadable templates have been provided for your convenience.
- AT Job Descriptions
- General Concussion Information
- Section 136.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education
- Zurich Consensus Statement On Concussion
- NYSATA Concussion Education Statement 12.2010
- American Academy of Neurology Position Statement on Sport Concussion
- Sample Concussion Management Documents
- Post-Injury Management/RTP
**For more information on concussions and concussion management, please visit our Public Resources.
- Return To Play Protocol (Homer Central)
- Head Injury Instruction Sheet (Ward Melville HS)
- Return To Academics 4.2012 (Ward Melville HS)
- Return To Play Form (Ward Melville HS)
For more concussion information from the NYS Public High School Athletic Association, please go to the NYSPHSAA Safety & Research webpage
Continuing Education for Concussion to satisfy the NYSED Guidelines for Concussion Management:
Instructional training will be mandatory for all physical education teachers, coaches, assistant coaches, volunteer coaches, nurses and certified athletic trainers.
Click here for the training for coaches and physical education teachers that will satisfy the requirement by completing the NYS Department of Education approved online training course from the CDC.
Click here for the training for Nurses and certified athletic trainers that will satisfy the requirement by completing the NYS Department of Education approved online training course from preventing concussion.
At the completion of each course the registrant will obtain a certificate of completion that will be placed in their permanent file. The certificate will be renewed biennially.