We need your help! Help support the recently introduced bills to update the Practice Act by sending a letter to your local legislators!
The NYSATA Governmental Affairs committee is responsible for overseeing all legislative activity within New York State relating to Athletic Training – with the overall goal of advancing the profession. This includes:
- Monitoring bills on the state and national levels that involve Athletic Training, as well as monitoring trends and efforts within the profession
- Organizing and carrying out lobbying efforts in the State, as well as contributing to national lobbying efforts
- Working with other NYSATA committees (i.e. Public Relations) to disseminate pertinent information to members
- Collaborating with the NATA and other states to help in meeting these missions
What We’re Working on Now
The Practice Act Update bills have been introduced!
Bill A6678 was introduced into the Assembly by Charles Lavine (D-Long Island)
Bill S4465 into the Senate by Mark Grisanti (R-Buffalo).
The 2014 Legislative session has begun in Albany and these bills sit in the Higher Education committees of each House. These bills need to be voted on and passed by these committees before going to the full Assembly or Senate for a vote by all legislators.
How Can I Help?
In order to get these bills passed, we need to be a constant voice in the legislators ears about why updating our Practice Act is important! Additionally, it’s also needed to educate them on who we are as a profession and what we do.
You can help by:
1) Writing letters to your local Assembly member and Senator asking for their support of the bill. You can also call their offices to ask for support.
2) Communicating to other AT’s to do the same
3) Spread the word to Physicians, athletes, and parents, and anyone else who might support us. Have them send letters to their local legislators asking for support of our bill.
4) The most effective thing to do is call your local Assemblyperson and Senator and invite them to visit your workplace. We have already held several Training Room visits for legislators that have been very effective in opening their eyes to all that we do!
Here are template letters that you or your Physician can send to your local legislators:
If you have any additional questions about this process, don’t hesitate to contact the GA committee chair, Christine Jenkins, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Senator Michael Ranzenhofer, Assemblyman Raymond Walter, and Bob O’Malley visiting Marcy Gerlach and Mike Maisano at Sweet Home High School near Buffalo, NY in October of 2013.
Ithaca College played host to Assembly member Barbara Lifton (D-Cortland) in October of 2013. Paul Geisler and Chris Humel hosted the visit.
Legislative staff from Senator Grisanti (R-Buffalo) and Senator LaValle’s (R-Long Island) offices visited the University at Albany’s Training Room in August of 2013. The visit was hosted by Head AT Jay Geiger MS, ATC (right) and Asst AT Joe Tegnander MS, ATC (left).
2012 Albany Lobby Day
(from left to right: Kathy Koshansky – Stony Brook, Kent Scriber – Ithaca College, Robby Vought – USMA Prep School, Tim Hansen – USMA Prep School, Mary Ann McLean – lobbyist at Wilson Elser, Christine Jenkins – Hudson Valley Community College, John Goff – Pine Bush HS, Sue Geisler – Cornell University)
(Not pictured but also in attendance, Jennie Petrone – NYC/Long Island)
NYSATA Governmental Affairs Committee Chair:
Christine Jenkins, MS, ATC (email@example.com)
- NY State Legislators: http://www.nysenate.gov
(click on “find my senator” to find your local representative)
(click on “who is my assemblymember” to find your local representative)