The NYSATA Governmental Affairs committee is responsible for overseeing all legislative activity within New York State relating to Athletic Training – with the overall goal of advancing the profession. This includes:
- Monitoring bills on the state and national levels that involve Athletic Training, as well as monitoring trends and efforts within the profession
- Organizing and carrying out lobbying efforts in the State, as well as contributing to national lobbying efforts
- Working with other NYSATA committees (i.e. Public Relations) to disseminate pertinent information to members
- Collaborating with the NATA and other states to help in meeting these missions
What We’re Working on Now
After working with the legislature and State Education Department on the recently passed Concussion Bill of 2011, we have switched gears to focus on updating our current Practice Act.
Using momentum we have gained from the Concussion bill, we will have a bill introduced in 2013 into the NY State legislature to update our current Practice Act (Article 162). The current language of the Practice Act is outdated and limits what we can do in this state. If we continue with the language as it is, our profession will remain limited and we will not be able to be utilized as the healthcare professionals we truly are.
How Can I Help?
If you are interested in helping further our profession through legislative activity, contact the committee chair, Christine Jenkins, for more information (email@example.com). Any help you can provide is welcome, there are no specific commitments or expectations.
NATA’s annual “Hit the Hill” day will be held on Monday, February 25th 2013 in Washington, D.C. If interested, contact the committee chair for more information on attending.
2012 Albany Lobby Day
(from left to right: Kathy Koshansky – Stony Brook, Kent Scriber – Ithaca College, Robby Vought – USMA Prep School, Tim Hansen – USMA Prep School, Mary Ann McLean – lobbyist at Wilson Elser, Christine Jenkins – Hudson Valley Community College, John Goff – Pine Bush HS, Sue Geisler – Cornell University)
(Not pictured but also in attendance, Jennie Petrone – NYC/Long Island)
NYSATA Governmental Affairs Committee Chair:
Christine Jenkins, MS, ATC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NY State Legislators: http://www.nysenate.gov
(click on “find my senator” to find your local representative)
(click on “who is my assemblymember” to find your local representative)